History of Luggate
Always a warm welcome in Luggate
Luggate Creek, which runs through the middle of the village, was named by an early surveyor after Luggate Water, a small stream in Berwickshire, England.
Luggate Village was born when Henry Maidman built the first hotel there in 1869 as a stop over point for wagons on the way from Cromwell to Wanaka. It was a warm sheltered corner and a popular stopping place.
When the first goldminers arrived in the 1880’s , the rugged landscape of Luggate and Central Otago proved a hard land for fortune making, although a few found success working up Luggate Creek at a place called Mid Run. An early miner Halliday built a large race from Luggate Creek and took up the water rights. He did well, as by 1892 all claims were sluicing using water from his races.
Luggate’s ‘Grandview Bridge’ opened on October 28 1915, and has been described as “one of the most attractively proportioned steel truss road bridges” in the country.
The township’s history and heritage is important as today’s Luggate embraces change and growth – still with that same warm Central Otago welcome – perfect really.